e

Why is electronics recycling, so important in today’s day and age?

Why is electronics recycling, so important in today’s day and age?

Posted by
| Comments Off on Why is electronics recycling, so important in today’s day and age?

If we perform a short research we will notice that the amount of electronic devices used by people is growing. So, it is no wonder why the amount of electronic waste, also known as e-waste, is growing too. Obviously, this growth requires efficient recycling.

The market is flooded with new inexpensive electronic devices and most of them are quite useful. People are experiencing many of the benefits that these devices bring. But, this sudden expansion of the electronics industry has resulted in an issue that was not present before – electronic waste or e-waste. The good news is that this serious problem is getting the attention from the authorities, industry leaders and even from consumers. Finally, most of the electronic device owners are getting aware of the fact that electronics recycling is important although many of them still don’t know what to do with old and obsolete electronics.

Latest statistics have shown that only 30% of old electronics are recycled while the remaining 70% are stored in offices and homes. One of the main reasons for this is the lack of recycling services. In this article, we will explain what this waste is why is electronics recycling, so important in today’s day and age.

Old, used and obsolete electronic devices are known as e-scrap or e-waste. There are many pieces of equipment and devices that can be described as e-waste like outdated stereos, computer equipment, cell phones, TVs and gaming consoles. These items can be recycled or refurbished. However, many of them end up in local landfills, which is very bad. Although more and more people are becoming aware of the fact that recycling is important and useful, these numbers must increase. Now let’s see why electronics is recycling so important.

To start with, electronic waste is a great source of valuable raw materials. Unfortunately, just 15% of the gold found in electronic waste is recovered with the help of recycling. This means that tons of gold are lost every year. According to official statistics, the amount of precious metals lost in this way is greater than the amount of extracted ore every year.

Let’s not forget that electronic waste is packed with toxic materials too. Some of these materials include chromium, cadmium, lead and mercury. This is the reason why processing is crucial to make sure that these dangerous elements don’t find a way to reach our environment. No matter where they are released – air, soil, water – the effects will be negative or even catastrophic.

Finally, many companies believe that by exporting electronic waste in poor countries, this problem can be solved effectively, but they are wrong. The negative effects of this waste are not aware of the borders and they are circulating around the world.

The best option for taking care of obsolete electronic devices is to use a good electronics recycling company. Selecting a company with experience, good background, and top notch equipment is the best way to protect the environment and comply with the laws.